I have a few changes planned for the next release, but I haven’t had any time to finish them up. March will be less busy, so expect the next release on, say, 3/15/07. Planned features for that release include:
- A “next” button in the upper right hand corner of the screen that you can use to rapidly skim your unread items and mark them read.
- The ‘subscribe to feed’ feature.
ThoughtFix has a great video of CarMan, the new utility by the same team that brought us Canola! CarMan works on the Nokia N800 or 770 and interacts over bluetooth with the ElmScan OBD-II device. OBD-II is a port that is installed in most modern cars so that car owners and service stations can debug their vehicles. CarMan exposes the throttle pressure, speed, engine RPM, fault codes, etc in a slick analog interface.
The WetYourWhistles team is arranging a Pub Crawl this Sunday, February 18. The party kicks off at 3pm at the BBC in Menlo Park. The crawl will also hit the Tied House in Mountain View and the Firehouse Brewery in Sunnyvale!
From the WetYourWhistles site:
Welcome to Wet Your Whistles, the on-line guide to watering holes along the San Francisco Bay Area Caltrain railway line. You can ride Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco to have a good day out without designating a driver. Our quest is to create a comprehensive list of brewpubs, microbreweries, bars, and well-stocked restaurants along the Caltrain line.
Joe Hewitt demos firebug. If you’ve been using firebug a lot, this will mostly be a review, but I saw several things I hadn’t noticed before:
- There is a “log all calls to” option in the right click menu when you are inside a function definition in the script tab. Params are logged! If you want to log the stack traces, use console.trace.
- I use the box model display often, but I didn’t notice before that rulers are added to your page when you mouse-over the box. Nice.
- When you are editing an attribute in the HTML or the CSS edit modes, you can use cursor keys to increase or decrease dimensions.
- Documentation for the firebug API is coming soon!
- Ctrl-Click while debugging will “run to the clicked line”.
- When you are in the DOM tab, the variables you added to the name space are in bold at the top… handy.
- When you paste multi-line text into the console’s command line, you get a larger text area to enter your code.
Given how fast the tech world changes, I’m surprised that a conference like CeBit would not grant press passes to electronic journalists. Specifically, it sounds like Steve Paine, who lives right there in Germany and has been one of the most consistent and fair news sources on UMPCs, won’t be invited to CeBit. It’s a shame, if you ask me.