More on the Apple Carputer
Oppenheimer said: “We are working to develop new products that contain technologies that our competition will not be able to match. I cannot discuss these new products, but we are very confident in our product pipeline.”
I think that Apple can beat the competition so well because a) it builds the hardware and the software, b) it’s OS (OS X) has an unprecedented level of scalability in footprint, UI stretchability and power usage, c) the developer community supporting Apple is notoriously agile and loyal.
Yes, the tablet that people have been predicting for years will be fantastic when it arrives and I’ll certainly buy one, but the carputer could also be a huge win. Podcasts, Tivo for your radio, better and more integrated (with your macbook, phone and web) navigation, voice notes, etc… would be a good start. Wait ’till the App Store comes, though!!
Apple and the Carputer
Prediction: One of the new products from Apple over the next 2 years (maybe even their latest hint about a future product transition), will be a car pc.
My recent move bumped my commute from 5 minutes to 45 minutes and there are dozens of ways a carputer built right could make that time more productive and enjoyable (without risking anyone’s safety).
iPhone Application WishList
Without background sync capabilities in 3rd Party apps, some of these aren’t likely going to be available in the near future and some others may only be possible as Apple-built apps. Still, here are 10 iPhone apps I’d love to see.
1. Podcast downloader (using Wifi and 3G) with background sync.
2. Native Google Reader client with background sync.
3. Twitter reader with background sync and read/unread functionality.
4. Save YouTube videos for later, non-streamed, viewing (so Charlie can watch cartoon clips and ColdPlay videos).
5. “Back to My Mac” Screen Sharing.
6. Remote Desktop (for Windows PCs).
7. Multi-Protocol (AIM, GoogleTalk, Jabber, etc) Instant Messaging Client which runs in the background when not the active application.
8. UPNP video streaming client.
9. Wine ratings / search.
10. Better Photo-emails. The ability to send multiple photos in one email, easily, would be great!