I hate phone cases. Over the years, I’ve tried many. It started with PalmOS PDAs, continued with smartphones and on to the iPhone. Cases generally bulk up the phone more than I’d like and the protection offered doesn’t outweigh the reduction in utility and comfort.
However, the iPhone 4 Bumper from Apple is great! For the cost of very little added bulk (and $29), I now have the following added utility:
- The small grippy edge on the back of the case lets me rest the phone at an angle on mugs, books, walls – whatever is handy – to get exactly the angle I want for browsing Instapaper or watching video. Without the grippy edge, the iPhone will slide off of anything I lean it against.
- The slightly raised edges on the back and front of the case protect the screen and back against falls.
- By minimizing the amount of grippy rubber on the case, the sides of the phone are ALMOST as smooth as the bare metal.
There are some issues with the case.
- It does add a small amount of bulk and it hides the beautiful metal edge of the device.
- The vibrate switch is slightly harder to access.
- Not all 3.5mm patch cables and and headphones will fit through the hole in the case. Anything that works with the recessed jack on the original iPhone should work with this case.
- With the Bumper on, you can’t put the iPhone in a dock. I don’t use a doc, so no biggy for me.
Robert Scoble mentioned that there are some great iPhone games that haven’t been ported to Android, yet. I agree – it’s one of the things that keeps me on the iPhone (along with a number of other categories of high quality apps).
Here are my favorite iPhone games (and 2 distractions for the kids):