Origami Report: Sunday, March 5th 2006
Has OrigamiPortal.com been shut down? Looks like it. CompuGuy1088 says a new, leaked, rendering was published on OrigamiPortal today:
Scoble says he’ll see the Origami on Monday. I wonder what, if anything, he’ll be allowed to post on the visit. Hopefully everything!
Steve Payne has a great graph of when applications become possible as Power and Size increase. On the X axis, he has screen size (Phone, PDA, CarryPad, Mini-Notebook). On the Y axis, he has processing power.
Techno-Squirrels is guessing that Origami will be $600, 20GB HD, 7″ screen, 800×480, Bluetooth, Wifi, 512MB RAM.
Finally, I’ve been thinking about the list I published yesterday and I’d like to make some changes:
- Upgradable to at least 512 of RAM (I can live without 1GB. Vista needs at least 1GB, though, so this would be a sacrifice.)
- At least 20 GB Hard Drive. 10-15 GB would be ok if it’s all flash. Flash would really help out the battery situation. (My minimum used to be 30GB.)
- PCMCIA slot or EVDO built in.
- Touch screen that ignores fingers. Only works with Tablet PC stylus. (I used to think I wanted a screen that worked with fingers, but Paul Watson is absolutely right: “I should be able to rest my hand on it and write, writing on a pda wears your hand and wrist out.” (from comments here)
- Wifi, Bluetooth
- I don’t need SVGA out on board or in a dock.
- I don’t need an Ethernet port.
- At least one USB port
- $900 or less
- I don’t need Gyro sensors, but I think the ROI on adding sensors with the sensitivity of WarioWare Twisted! to every portable computer would be awesome for all kinds of apps.
- Basic 3d graphics
- Basic protective case
- At least 800 pixels in longest edge of the screen
- Landscape screen
- Available in March or April
- Hot-swappable battery packs (Suggested by Dr Murdoch in these comments).