Kids Programming Language
KPL is a programming language built by Jon Schwartz and others. KPL is featured in this 45 minute Channel 9 video.
I learned a lot about the language and the programming environment from the video. Here is some of that information. Sorry if I got anything wrong. I didn’t take notes.
KPL Version 1 (currently available)
- Based on .Net.
- The IDE is based on Visual Studio. Lots of Visual Studio functionaliy is available, simplified, including code block collapsing and auto-complete.
- Sprites, motion and input are easy.
- Syntax similar to basic.
- Lots of docs and examples.
- Thriving community of example submitters.
- Needs more girl-oriented content.
KPL Version 2 (coming soon, although most of it was shown in the video)
- Debugging in the IDE (breakpoints, watchpoints, list of all variables in scope and their values).
- Objects and user defined objects.
- Distributable EXEs.
- The KPL libraries will be available to C#, etc and you’ll be able to automatically convert your KPL code to other .Net languages with one click.
- DirectX wrappers – build 3D apps (a 40 line program was demoed with a spaceship flying around in a textured box. Watch the video – words don’t do it justice.) Terrain/character collision is taken care of for you.
- Build your own modules in any .NET language with an SDK, expose that functionality to KPL.
- Control an aimable camera over USB.