More thoughts on my new Nokia N800 Internet Tablet
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that Youtube videos play at a brutal 1 or 2 frames per second. Yuck. What’s interesting, though, is that you get only occasional hiccups in the audio tracks. That means that videoblogs published to youtube may still be audible, even though you won’t want to watch them.
UPDATE 2: You can now create a Swap File for Virtual Memory as large as 128 MB. I think the 770 limit was 64MB.
Another Update: The list of running tasks along the left hand side no longer seems to re-order itself to put the currently running app at the top. This is a welcome change. Further, when you have multiple instances of the same app running, they become sub menus of the task list. NICE!
Update++: The built in stand is without question the biggest improvement. It has two positions and has a very very satisfying stickiness at each of its resting positions.
I wonder if the blue glow around the dpad is controllable by software….
Update += 5: The opera.ini file on the n800 is mostly identical to the version on the 770. However, all the cache settings are much higher on the n800.
– Though the SD slots were originally thought to be Mini SD, they are both full size SD. I’m sure the reason people thought otherwise was because the 800 comes with a MniiSD card and an SD adapter. This is no doubt to help make the 800 more compatible with phones.
– The external SD slot and the miniUSB port are covered by the built in stand. To access either of these areas, you need to open the stand.
– Both the internal and external ports work fine with 2GB SD cards.
– At first, I hated the fact that the N800 shipped with a cloth case rather than the sturdy slide case that came with my Nokia 770. NOW, though, I’m starting to get comfortable with the idea. Since I sometimes carry a digital camera in the same pocket as my Internet Tablet, the soft case helps protect both devices.
– As far as I can tell, the only application that uses the built in webcam is the video-conferencing app. I see no way to record video or photographs with the webcam. My phone camera is much more powerful than this webcam, but it still seems like an odd omission.
– On the Nokia 770, the button to tell the current application to go full screen is on the far left of the top edge of the device. On the N800, they moved it between the + and – zoom buttons. It makes zooming and full-screening tasks that require more consideration. Maybe my muscle-memory will adjust, but for now it feels really wierd.
– The About screen says that the OS is Internet Tablet OS 2007 edition (version 1.2006.47-20). The most recent upgrade for the 770 was 2006 edition, so that makes sense. The application manager calls the current rev “bora”. “scirocco” is Internet Tablet OS 2006’s framework. The other available distros “sardine” and “herring” are supposedly more advanced than “bora”.
– The theme on the 800 is pretty cool. I don’t know if it would work on the 770, but it seems to me to have all the same areas, etc.
– Google Reader is still unusable on the 800.
– The loudest setting on the 800 is much louder than the 770.